Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Family


As I spent my days hiding the hovel I started observe the family. There was an old man, a young man and a young woman. I grew intrigued with the family and studied the way they acted. During the day the young man would be out doors performing laborious tasks while the young woman would be inside preparing meals and taking care of the old man. I was amazed at the love and respect the young people showed to the old man. His need came before theirs and the helped him in any way possible. I was jealous of them, but at the same time could not figure out why they seemed to always be a little miserable. It took me awhile to realize that they were poor and that I had been stealing food from them. From that point on I did anything I could to help them. I stopped stealing food and helped with chores outside of the house.

I also started to study how the communicated. They spoke strange sounds and their neighbors even understood them. I listened to when they spoke and started to learn the language. I could identify certain items, but it was not able to become fluent until Safie arrived. Safie was a woman that Felix, the young man, was in love with. She spoke a different language so Felix decided to teach her. While he taught her how to talk and read I would listen and participate like he was teaching me. I learned at a faster pace than Safie and I soon understood everything they said.

No comments:

Post a Comment